Donating Doesn’t Have To Break Your Bank (from Janet)
December and January are known for many things, and not all of them pleasant.
By this time, most of us have been bombarded and overloaded with commercials, calls, mailings and e-mails – all asking you to give money to this cause or that.
And let’s be honest. Some of the methods organizations and individuals use to get you to donate are pretty awful.
If they’re not guilting you, they’re tugging at your heart strings, and making you feel like crap if you truly don’t have the funds to donate.
Granted, the majority of the causes being highlighted are worthy. But, it’s up to you how much money you want to give, and where you want that money to go (meaning, do your homework before you write that check).
What so many people may not realize, or may not care think about, is that many times, charity does begin at (or closer to) home.
Not everyone has the money, or inclination, to financially donate.
But that doesn’t mean that you can’t JUST DO SOMETHING to make a difference.
And you don’t always have to give money to make a lasting impact.
Here are some things you can do that won’t break your bank account:
- Offer to walk an outdoor dog chained in the same place every day
- Volunteer at your local shelter
- Start a drive for dry dog and cat food that you can bring to your local church
- Finally make that call to 911 about the dog you see outside without proper shelter every day on the way to work
- Foster a dog that temporarily needs a home
- Offer to help feed a local feral cat colony (yes, they’re in your town, also)
- Help network for an animal that needs help
- Get educated on a cause and spread the word
Literally, making an honest effort to help save or better the life of even ONE animal in need, makes a difference. All it takes is a willingness to help – and whether you have money or not doesn’t matter. Money doesn’t walk that outside dog – WE do.
So, maybe the next time you see that commercial, or get that e-mail, instead of focusing on what you can’t donate, think about all the ways you CAN, and then do it. Animals are waiting, and waiting, and waiting.
Let’s make it a better year for animals, because WE can.