Keeping it Safe on Valentine’s Day!

Animal Advocacy Blog Picture Janet Bovitz Sandefur


Please note that this Blog item was originally posted and shared on Valentine’s Day 2015, but due to a website problem, it was lost.  We’ve reposted it again!


Do you pause in the middle of the day to sigh, thinking of your honey’s warm, wet nose, and furry ears? It’s love, and we know it — dogs and cats make the best Valentines ever. There’s no need to get them chocolates, and they have no use for flowers. In fact, these gifts are actually dangerous for them. But do you know why? Here are five great tips that help will keep your pets safe this Valentine’s Day.

#1 To Give or Not to Give

Are you planning to gift a loved one a new puppy or kitten for Valentine’s Day? You may want to reconsider. Mull it over and do your homework — animals are not disposable, nor can they easily be repackaged, regifted, or returned if the recipient is not pleased.

#2 A Rose is Just a Rose

But then again, a flower or plant can also be a something that hurts your pets. The aroma from your Valentine’s Day floral arrangement may be too enticing for your dog or cat, and it only takes a nibble to cause a severe reaction. Even small amounts may lead to cases of upset stomachs or vomiting, particularly if the plant or flower is toxic. Be extremely careful if your arrangement contains lilies, as these lovely flowers are fatally poisonous to cats.

#3 Restart the Heart

If your dog or cat should ingest large amounts of chocolate, gum, or candy, s/he may go into cardiac arrest. Be prepared this Valentine’s Day by learning the proper methods for artificial respiration and cardiopulmonary respiration (CPR) on dogs and cats, both of which can be found here.

#4 Skip the Candygram

Sugar-free candies and gums often contain large amounts of xylitol, a sweetener that is toxic to pets, especially dogs. If ingested, it may cause vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and in severe cases, liver failure.

#5 Melts in Your Mouth, Not in Theirs

Everyone knows that chocolate causes abnormally high heart rhythms in dogs, among other problems. But not everyone is aware that baking chocolate is especially toxic. While an M&M or two on Valentine’s Day may not do any harm, a dog or cat that snatches a large chunk of baking chocolate from the counter may end up in the ER. It is essential to keep ALL chocolates out of your pet’s reach. Yes, even that last raspberry-filled nugget from the assorted box of chocolates no one ever seems to want to eat.

Remember, ANY medical issue needs prompt attention, so keep your veterinarian’s number in a handy place that everyone knows about.

Do you have a Keep-Pets-Safe Valentine’s Day tip? Share it with us, so others can benefit!

Your tip may be the tip to keep a four-legged someone out of harm’s way!

Animal Advocacy logo Janet Bovitz Sandefur


Share for Awareness ~ it matters!
Share on Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn
Pin on Pinterest
Email this to someone
Print this page


View more posts from this author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »