Guest Blogger, Anti Animal Abuse-Known Abusers
Regardless of age, nationality, race, gender, education, or profession, etc., anyone anywhere is capable of committing an act considered criminal. We cannot judge a group by what an individual connected to that group commits, it is the individual themselves who has acted and/or reacted and should be remanded accordingly.
Take heed to reprimand/condemn the individual, not the group in which an individual is associated.
- Elderly: A Christiana, Tennessee man who was accused of possessing more than 100 dead animals 11 years ago is in trouble again. William Terry Davis (82) appeared in Rutherford County Circuit Court Monday to be arraigned on three counts of animal cruelty, after being indicted. http://www.wsmv.com/story/26341027/elderly-man-previously-again-faces-animal-cruelty-charges
- Child: A Genesee County, Michigan boy (4) repeatedly throws puppy into street in disturbing video. http://www.wnem.com/story/26482486/grandfather-could-face-charges-after-puppy-thrown-into-street
- Male: An Ontario, Canada man (Justin Kloda) has been sentenced to 10 months in custody and a lifetime prohibition from owning animals. http://london.ctvnews.ca/man-sentenced-after-violent-abuse-of-cat-caught-on-camera-1.1597338
- Female: Her son was the first to realize that one of her dog’s legs had rotten and fallen off. Rosa Martinez (57) Houston, Texas http://abc13.com/archive/9314313/
- Teacher: Fort Myers, Florida students save puppy locked in the trunk of a teacher’s (Matthew Eric Emans) car on hot day. http://www.dogheirs.com/tamara/posts/4164-students-save-puppy-locked-in-trunk-of-teacher-s-car-on-hot-day#2y3U0TxYVPvOdPUT.99
- Animal Shelter Employee: Michael Papini (30) Lindenhurst, New York who works as a kennel attendant, was arrested at his home on felony aggravated animal cruelty, misdemeanor animal abandonment and related charges. http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/miracle-dog-lives-islip-animal-shelter-worker-accused-of-cruelty-1.6683955
- Firefighter: A Memphis, Tennessee firefighter is off the job and facing animal cruelty charges. Marcus Gaines (35) is charged with two counts of aggravated animal cruelty after two dogs, nearly starved to death, were found at his home. http://www2.localmemphis.com/news/local/story/Memphis-Firefighter-Arrested-Charged-with-Animal/1SdC-Ao4Pk6aRq51PDg42A.cspx
- Nurse: Ann Marie Nash had been a vet’s nurse for over 14 years but admitted abandoning her British Bulldog, Martha. An examination marked her as 1.5 out of 5 on the body mass index chart while discovering a football-size blockage of bones in her abdomen and toe nails growing into the tissue of her paws. http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/379696/Vet-s-nurse-faces-jail-for-animal-cruelty-after-pet-bulldog-abandoned-and-put-down
- Police Officer: A Mills (Casper, Wyoming) Police officer and K9 handler has been charged with cruelty to animals. Officer Zack Miller failed to provide, by the language of Wyoming statute, proper food, drink or protection from weather for the dog (Nyx). http://www.oilcitywyo.com/2014/08/22/mills-police-officer-charged-with-animal-cruelty-that-lead-to-the-death-of-a-k9-officer/
- Minister: Moosic, Pennsylvania man defied a court order prohibiting him from having more than one dog while he (John Tanis) awaits trial for animal abuse, the second defiance in a week. http://wnep.com/2014/04/10/dogs-removed-again-from-moosic-home/
- Greece: A senior offender who calmly sat on a bench in Salaminas wearing a short sleeved shirt and shorts, attempted to murder a small dog which he had tied inside a sack on the ground in front of him. http://greeceexposed.com/2014/08/29/arrested-for-attempting-to-murder-dog/
- USA: A Texas woman who thought she had her dog euthanized six months earlier was horrified to learn her pet’s veterinarian (Dr. Millard “Lou” Tierce) kept the animal alive to harvest its blood for transfusions to other animals. http://abcnews.go.com/US/vet-accused-keeping-sickly-dog-alive-harvest-blood/story?id=23533535
- South Africa: A Pretoria woman accused of having sex with two dogs — Jana Smit (31) faced five charges of bestiality, possession of child pornography and sexual enticement. http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/sex-with-dog-accused-due-in-court-1.1553081#.VCbjeBZNjNE
- China: A dog was found, fitted with a neck shackle that was slowly throttling it each day as the animal grew. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2202871/Animal-cruelty-Dog-collared-neck-shackle-throttling-day.html
- England: Video shows the shocking moment that men shook a scared cat out of a tree and allowed their dogs to attack it; filmed by Joshua Varey (24) on his mobile phone, showed Paul Ashworth (49) and Shaun Mullens (22) Pendle, Lancashire. http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/06/men-shake-terrified-cat-from-tree-so-dogs-can-attack-it-in-shocking-footage-4752870/
- Australia: Protesters confront a trio (Hollie Belinda Cornwell, Sean Joseph Heineger-Finley and Shane Richard Heineger) accused of animal cruelty outside Gladstone Magistrates Court. http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/news/protesters-confront-charged/2373638/
Disdain is disdain. Hate is hate. Intolerance is intolerance. No matter how justified disdain, hate, and intolerance may be, they don’t help anyone.
If we find one specific doctor (for an example) to be uncaring, incompetent, or greedy, then it is to our benefit to judge that doctor as being unworthy of his position, and to make appropriate decisions going forward. It is not to our benefit to judge all doctors as being similar to that one doctor.
There are good doctors, and there are bad doctors. Period.
And we can substitute “doctors” in the above line with any other group of people, like lawyers, politicians, teachers, contractors, clergy people, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Asians, Africans, Caucasians, Latinos, heterosexuals, homosexuals, etc.
Within every group of people, there are good people, and there are bad people. Perhaps it’s more accurate to say that within every group of people, there is good behavior, and there is bad behavior.
I think you get my point by now: Assess the individual, not the group.
Hopefully, people are sharing in their own communities to warn others. I also post who authorities are looking for, so others can be on the lookout in their own areas as well. To break up the monotony (with abuse stories), I also post acts of valor and interest (policy changes, vet news, etc.). The purpose really is to keep others aware and provide education on issues of animal abuse, as well as the correlation to human abuse, and to support the need for a public animal offender registry.